Madison "Maddie" Nicole Ziegler (born September 30, 2002) is an American dancer, actress and model who achieved wide notice at an early age. She first became known for appearing in Lifetime's reality show Dance Moms from 2011 (at age 8) until 2016. From 2014 to 2016, she gained wider fame for starring in music videos by Sia, including "Chandelier", "Elastic Heart", "Big Girls Cry" and "Cheap Thrills", which cumulatively have attracted more than 2 billion views on YouTube. Ziegler has also guest-starred on scripted shows, danced on various TV shows and at concerts, and has been seen on magazine covers and in feature articles. She has modeled for Capezio, Ralph Lauren and Target, among other brands. Ziegler was named by Time magazine as one of the "30 most influential teens of 2015".
Ziegler is a judge on the 2016 season of So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation and is set to join Sia on tour in 2016. She is also expected to make her feature film debut in The Book of Henry (2017).
Ziegler was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Melissa Ziegler-Gisoni and Kurt Ziegler, who owned a mortgage company. She is of Polish, German and Italian descent. Her parents divorced in 2011, citing the financial and emotional toll that dance took on the family, and her mother married Greg Gisoni in 2013. Ziegler has been an active member of the Abby Lee Dance Company since the age of two. She trains in tap, ballet, lyrical, contemporary, acro, jazz and aerial dance. Maddie Ziegler has a younger sister, Mackenzie (b. June 4, 2004), a dancer and singer who appeared with her on Dance Moms, two older half-brothers from her father's previous marriage, and two older step-siblings from the previous marriage of her step-father, Greg Gisoni, a vice-president at Westinghouse Electric Company.
Ziegler attended Sloan Elementary School until 2013, when she left to be homeschooled. Ziegler and her family have long lived in Murrysville, Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh, and now split their time between Murrysville and Los Angeles.
Dance Moms and music videos
Ziegler has won numerous titles at regional, state and national dance competitions, including the 2014 Dancers Choice Award for Favorite Dancer 17 & Under. In 2010, Ziegler performed for Paula Abdul's reality television program Live to Dance, but the program was canceled before her performance aired. In 2011, eight-year-old Ziegler and her mother appeared on the first season of Lifetime's Dance Moms, a reality show about the young dancers on Abby Lee Miller's Abby Lee Dance Company Elite Competition Team and their often quarrelsome mothers. Ziegler "emerged as the preternaturally polished standout on six seasons" on the show, where she continued to appear alongside her mother and younger sister, Mackenzie, until 2016, their last season on the show. In 2013, Ziegler made guest appearances on a spin-off program, Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. Dance Moms helped to make Ziegler "one of the most famous dancers in the entertainment world currently. ... [She inspires] other dancers to pursue their dreams with originality and grace."
Ziegler has appeared in music videos for such artists as Alexx Calise, Sia and Todrick Hall. She gained wide notice, at the age of 11, by starring in the 2014 video for Sia's song "Chandelier", who discovered her on Dance Moms. The video won the ARIA Music Award for Best Video and received nominations at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards for Video of the Year and Best Choreography, winning the latter. It was also nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Music Video in 2015. It has received more than 1.3 billion views on YouTube, and it was, at one point, the 13th most viewed YouTube video of all time. Ziegler discussed the choreography with New York magazine in 2014: "It was really different and weird for me, because I usually don't, you know, be a crazy person every time. It was so fun to do and it was really out of the box and it expanded me a lot, because I'm used to competition dances where you're like, Point your legs! But this time it was like, you just need to let go and feel it."
In January 2015, Ziegler starred with Shia LaBeouf in "Elastic Heart", another Sia video, which has accumulated more than 600 million YouTube views. The video "courted controversy and plaudits in equal measure", with some commentators perceiving it as having pedophilic undertones due to the relative ages of the dancers. Sia explained that the two dancers represented "warring 'Sia' self states", but she nevertheless apologized on Twitter to anyone who was offended. Later in 2015, Ziegler starred in "Big Girls Cry" to complete her trilogy of videos from Sia's album 1000 Forms of Fear. After the release of "Chandelier", Ziegler danced to Sia's vocals on several television shows, including The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Dancing with the Stars, Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Saturday Night Live, as well as at the Hollywood Bowl. By the end of 2015, Ziegler had performed with Sia on the Ellen DeGeneres Show three times. She also performed to "Chandelier", alongside Sia and Kristen Wiig, at the 2015 Grammy Awards. In 2016, Ziegler starred in a fourth Sia video, "Cheap Thrills", from the album This Is Acting. Billboard called the video "captivating" and commented that Ziegler and her two supporting dancers seemed "to blend as one". A Teen Vogue reviewer wrote that Ziegler "delivers another powerful performance". The "Chandelier" and "Elastic Heart" videos were both selected as part of PopSugar's 2016 list of "25 of the Best Dance Videos of the Last Decade".
Acting, modeling and other activities
In 2012, Ziegler landed her first professional acting job, portraying the character Young Deb on an episode of the Lifetime series Drop Dead Diva. In 2014, Ziegler appeared as a guest star in Episode 34 of HitStreak Summer, a made-for-mobile series. She continued her acting career in 2015 with guest spots on the Disney Channel series Austin & Ally and ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars. In January 2016, she guest starred in the episode "Ballet and the Beasts" on Nickelodeon's Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn. Ziegler is set to appear in a forthcoming feature film, The Book of Henry and to voice a character in the animated film Ballerina. She has also been cast in a film written and to be directed by Sia, titled Sister. Ziegler expects to do more acting. She told Hunger magazine in 2016: "I don’t want to always be seen as a reality TV person. I want people to see that there’s more that I can do. ... [T]his year acting is going to be my focus."
Ziegler has modeled for, or represented, such brands as Clean & Clear, Capezio, including their Betsey Johnson line, Target and Ralph Lauren. She has also been featured on numerous magazine covers and in fashion editorials for Kode, Schön! Magazine, Elle, Dance Spirit, Nylon, Vs., Seventeen, Harper's Bazaar, People, Dazed, Cosmopolitan, i-D, Billboard, Teen Vogue, Stella, Maniac, Vanity Fair Italia, Flaunt and Paper. At the 2015 New York Fashion Week, she acted as a correspondent for Elle. In 2014, Ziegler and her sister released a fashion line, The Maddie & Mackenzie Collection, through Mod Angel. Ziegler has an active social media presence, with more than 7 million Instagram followers, over 1 million Twitter followers and over 600,000 followers on Facebook. Videos of her dancing have accumulated more than 2.3 billion total views on YouTube.
Ziegler appeared as the featured dancer in the ABC TV special The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60 in February 2016, during the song "Part of Your World", sung by Kelsea Ballerini and choreographed by Travis Wall. A Huffington Post reporter called the number "stunning and graceful". In April 2016, six of her pre-taped performances were projected onto the big screens during Sia's Coachella set, and Ziegler appeared live with Sia at YouTube's Brandcast event in New York City. In May, Ziegler appeared on the season finale of The Voice with Sia, dancing to "Cheap Thrills". In June she starred in another Todrick Hall video, "Taylor in Wonderland", based on the Alice in Wonderland story, dancing to a mash-up of Taylor Swift songs. Later in June, Ziegler joined Fox's So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation, a television competition for dancers, from ages 8 to 13, where she is one of the judges. She also danced at Sia's concert in June at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado and is set to join Sia on her "Nostalgic for the Present Tour".
Ziegler is planning to release a memoir, The Maddie Diaries, in 2017 and is writing a trilogy of novels for middle grade readers with volumes to be published in 2017, 2018 and 2019, respectively. The series celebrates the power and positivity of dance through the experiences of a young dancer competing together with teammates, making friends on the dance circuit and negotiating the challenges that pre-teens face.
In 2012, Ziegler, along with her mother and sister, partnered with Starlight Children's Foundation to help raise awareness for chronically ill youth. Ziegler stated that she enjoys dedicating her time to helping other children, and that it is a rewarding experience. In 2016, Ziegler and her sister made a public service announcement for DoSomething.org's Birthday Mail campaign, which enables people to send homemade birthday cards to children living in homeless shelters.
Reputation and accolades
In Billboard magazine, music writer Jason Lipshutz, called Ziegler's work in "Chandelier" "a dazzling dance performance". The Guardian commented that she "dances with such impressive flexibility". Rolling Stone thought that her "crisp moves and theatrical mugging were a great fit for Ryan Heffington's imaginative choreography" and praised her "charisma that makes this video mesmerizing: Her dancing makes your memory tingle". Dazed magazine wrote that "Ziegler interprets the song’s lyrics into something that is deranged, isolated, manic and profound." People magazine called her "a super-human graceful alien sent from Planet Talented to make us mere mortals look really clumsy". A 2015 feature in The Huffington Post praised Ziegler's artistry:
Her ... jétés and pirouettes juxtapose self-containment with a sort of reckless abandon. But it is her face ... that truly captivates her audience thanks to the tantalizing allure of catharsis through art. [Ziegler's] work ethic, not to mention her evident love for the art, has made her relentlessly relevant. She has something to say with her performances, whether in a music video for Sia or in a solo at nationals. Her technique is lovely, especially for a 12-year-old. She has stretched knees, pointed feet, and arms that float on clouds, her fingers perfectly placed. But still more important is her virtuosity, her connection with the public. She tells a narrative that resonates with the viewer, whether portraying a scorned lover or a werewolf. This maturity is astounding for a preteen – she just gets it. She's meant to perform, meant to communicate with people. She has defied the odds of Generation Z's competitive, egocentric mentality to make her career about the work, not the celebrity.
Ballet choreographer Troy Schumacher told New York magazine in 2016: "She has, fascinatingly, really created her own world of dance. When we talk about great dancers, it's definitely a persona that leaves a lasting impression – it's not necessarily the most technically perfect dancer. She's only 13, but there's a strong sense of personality that comes through in her movement that is somewhat iconic." Lipshutz wrote that Ziegler's live participation makes Sia's upcoming tour "arguably the most anticipated major tour of the entire year (Adele aside). ... Because she’s that good as a live performer. ... Ziegler’s presence transforms a staged affair into a live one, and a great lineup into an indispensable arena experience."
Ziegler was named by Time magazine as one of the "30 most influential teens of 2015". She was also on the Harpers Bazaar 2015 list of "19 Rising Style Icons Aged 19 and Under" and won a 2016 People's Choice Award and a 2016 Teen Choice Award. She has been nominated for a 2016 Shorty Award.
Awards and nominations
|2013||Industry Dance Awards||Dancers Choice Awards
|2014||Industry Dance Awards||Dancers Choice Awards
Favorite Dancer 17 & Under
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Dancer||Template:Nominated|||
|Industry Dance Awards||Dancers Choice Awards
Favorite Dancer 17 & Under
|2016||People's Choice Awards||DailyMail.com Seriously Popular Award||Won|||
|Shorty Awards||Best In Dance||Template:Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Dancer||Won|||
|Industry Dance Awards||Dancers Choice Awards
Favorite Dancer 17 & Under
|Lucky Thirteen||2015||Herself||Short dance film by i-D, starring Ziegler, celebrating turning 13; voiceover by Chloë Sevigny reading from Dear Diary by Lesley Arfin|||
|Ballerina||2016||Unknown||Post-production, Voice role (2016 France; worldwide 2017)|||
|The Book of Henry||2017||Christina Sickleman||Post-production|||
|•||Denotes acting credits|
|Live to Dance||2010||Herself||CBS||Episode did not air|||
|Dance Moms||2011–2016||Lifetime||Main cast (136 episodes)|||
|The View||2012||Performer||ABC||Dance "A Child Is Born" (Season 15, Ep. 110)|||
|Drop Dead Diva •||Young Deb||Lifetime||Guest, Episode "Lady Parts"|||
|The View||2013||Performer||ABC||Dance "The Last Text", episode dated February 20, 2013|||
|Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition||Lifetime||2 Episodes|||
|The Ellen DeGeneres Show||2014||NBCUniversal||Sia: "Chandelier" (Season 11, Ep. 160)|||
|Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Herself; Dancer||ABC||Sia: "Chandelier"; Ziegler teaches hosts "Chandelier" dance (Season 12, Ep. 95)|||
|Dancing with the Stars||Performer||Sia: "Chandelier", with Allison Holker (Season 19, Ep. 4)|||
|Saturday Night Live||2015||Performer||NBC||Sia: "Elastic Heart" (Season 40, Ep. 11)|||
|The Ellen DeGeneres Show||NBCUniversal||Sia: "Elastic Heart" (Season 12, Ep. 93)|||
|57th Annual Grammy Awards||CBS||Sia: "Chandelier" with Kristen Wiig|||
|Austin & Ally •||Shelby Hayden||Disney Channel||Guest, Season 4, Ep. 5 "Homework and Hidden Talents"|||
|Dancing with the Stars||Performer||ABC||(Season 20, Ep. 9)|||
|Pretty Little Liars •||Creepy Dancer||ABC Family||Guest, Season 6, Ep. 5 "She's No Angel"|||
|The View||Performer||ABC||Dance "Together We Stand" (Season 19, Ep. 14)|||
|The Ellen DeGeneres Show||NBCUniversal||Sia: "Alive" (Season 13, Ep. 59)|||
|Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn •||2016||Eiffel||Nickelodeon||"Ballet and the Beasts" (Season 2, Ep. 14)|||
|The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60||Performer||ABC||Kelsea Ballerini: "Part of Your World"|||
|The Voice||Performer||NBC||Sia: "Cheap Thrills" (Season 10 finale)|||
|So You Think You Can Dance:
The Next Generation
|"It's Like Summer"||2011||LUX||Supporting|||
|"Summer Love Song"||Brooke Hyland||Supporting|||
|"It's a Girl Party"||2014||Mack Z|||
|"Freaks Like Me"||Todrick Hall||Supporting, vocals|||
ARIA Music Award for Best Video
MTV Video Music Award for Best Choreography
Nom—MTV Video Music Award for Video of the Year
Nom—Grammy Award for Best Music Video.
|"Elastic Heart"||2015||Sia||Lead, alongside Shia LaBeouf
Nom—MTV Video Music Award for Best Female Video
|"Big Girls Cry"||Lead|||
|"Wear Em Out"||Kendall K||Assistant choreographer|||
|"Cheap Thrills"||2016||Sia||Lead, alongside two male dancers
Nom—MTV Video Music Award for Best Female Video
|"Taylor in Wonderland"||Todrick Hall||Lead|||
|Company and product||Year||Featured song(s)||Description||Ref.|
|Target blue jeans||2015||"ABC"
(Tori Kelly cover)
|"Back to School 2015: Jeans Jam". Ziegler and others dancing in Target jeans. The commercial had 1,092 national TV airings.|||
|WowWee snap pets||None||Ziegler and her sister take pictures of themselves with the mini Bluetooth cameras.|||
|"Dance In You". Zielger stars as a disruptive force for self-expression in a ballet class. Choreography by Troy Schumacher.|||
- ^ a b Gisoni, Melissa. "Ziegler Girls | Maddie Bio" Ziegler Girls Official Website, accessed August 3, 2015
- ^ a b c Weinstock, Tish. "There’s something about Maddie Ziegler", i-D, August 14, 2015
- ^ a b "The 30 Most Influential Teens of 2015", Time magazine, October 27, 2015
- "Famous Abby Lee Miller Dancers", Famous161.com, accessed February 14, 2014
- ^ a b Ziegler, Maddie. Fun Facts, MaddieZiegler.com. Retrieved May 4, 2015
- "Dance Moms Dancer Maddie ziegler". Maddie Ziegler. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Roca, Teresa. "Rags to Riches! Maddie Ziegler Scores Massive Payday Amid Family Bankruptcy Scandal", Radar Online, March 25, 2016
- ^ a b "From Sia videos to Dance Moms, Murrysville dancer steps into pop culture fame", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, January 27, 2015
- "Mackenzie – About", accessed February 6, 2015; Davis, Emma. [http://www.today.com/parents/maddie-mackenzie-ziegler-life-after-dance-moms-t101012 "Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler on life after Dance Moms", Today.com, July 22, 2016; and "Twist Chats with Maddie & Mackenzie Ziegler!", Twist magazine, February 26, 2013, accessed March 24, 2016
- [Cabrera, Daniela. "How Many Siblings Does Maddie Ziegler Have?", Bustle.com, July 30, 2015, accessed December 27, 2015
- "'Dance Moms': Is Someone Getting Kicked Out In Season 4?". TheTVPage.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Cristina Rouvalis (November 2013). "Inside the 'Dance Moms' Empire". Pittsburgh Magazine. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Harrop, JoAnne Klimovich. "Maddie Ziegler returns to Pittsburgh with stop at Dancer's Closet in Murrysville", Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, December 25, 2015
- "Competition results (12 pages)". Abby Lee Dance Company. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- ^ a b "Industry Dance Awards Dancers Choice Awards 2014 | Nominees". Industrydanceawards.com. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- ^ a b "Maddie Ziegler Live to dance clips". YouTube. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- ^ a b Gallagher, Caitlin. "Will Maddie Ziegler Return to Dance Moms In Season 7? Don't Count on a Cameo, Folks", Bustle.com, May 3, 2016
- ^ a b Fraser, Holly. "Maddie Ziegler tells us why she’s leaving reality TV behind", Hunger magazine, March 21, 2016
- ^ a b c Milzoff, Rebecca. "How Maddie Ziegler Became Our 'First Digital Dance Star'", New York magazine, July 11, 2016
- "About Dance Moms". myLifetime.com. Lifetime Entertainment Services. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Alexander, Reagan and Aurelie Corinthios. "Maddie Ziegler Is Leaving Dance Moms to Judge So You Think You Can Dance", People magazine, March 14, 2016
- Thompson, Avery. "Maddie Ziegler Confirms She's Leaving Dance Moms – I'm 'Moving On'", Hollywood Life, March 14, 2016
- ^ a b "'Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition' S2 E3 Recap: Gods and Mortals", Glamorosi Magazine, September 18, 2013
- ^ a b Bill Palmer. "Dance Moms' Maddie stars in Alexx Calise music video for "Cry"". Collins Avenue. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- ^ a b c Lipshutz, Jason. "Sia Taps Dance Moms Star For 'Chandelier' Video: Watch", Billboard, May 6, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2015
- "Grammys 2015: See the Full List of Nominees". Billboard. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- "20 Most Viewed Videos on YouTube of All Time (2016)", Top Trends YouTube channel, June 23, 2016. Billboard listed it at 12th, but they included only music videos, excluding Wheels on the Bus: Schneider, Marc. "A Billion Views on YouTube? Once Exclusive Club Is Getting Crowded", Billboard, January 12, 2016. "Chandelier" has since moved lower on the list of YouTube's Most Viewed Videos of All Time.
- Jung, E. Alex. "Maddie Ziegler on Sia's 'Chandelier' Video, Dance Moms and Drew Barrymore", New York magazine, May 21, 2014, accessed July 11, 2016
- Furler, Sia. "Sia – 'Elastic Heart' feat. Shia LaBeouf & Maddie Ziegler (Official Video)", SiaVEVO, January 7, 2015, accessed April 17, 2016
- Norton, Siobhan. "Ballet fitness: Why growing numbers are using pliés and pirouettes to work out", The Independent, July 14, 2015
- "Sia's video: let's be wary of seeing paedophilia everywhere", Guardian Australia, January 11, 2015
- "Sia Apologizes for 'Pedophilia' Perception in Music Video". Yahoo!. January 9, 2015. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- ^ a b Ranscombe, Siân. "The 10 most controversial music videos", The Telegraph, May 10, 2015
- ^ a b "Big Girls Cry", SiaVEVO, accessed March 15, 2016
- Schumann, Rebecka. "Dance Moms Star Maddie Ziegler Responds to SNL Sia 'Chandelier' Spoof", International Business Times, October 27, 2014, accessed December 2, 2015
- ^ a b Geslani, Michelle. "Sia and dance prodigy Maddie Ziegler deliver gripping performance on Ellen – watch", ConsequenceofSound.net, December 1, 2015; and Bailey, Alyssa. "Watch Sia and Maddie Ziegler's Chilling Live Performance of 'Alive'", Elle magazine, December 1, 2015
- ^ a b Swift, Andy. "Sia Enlists Kristen Wiig for 'Chandelier' Performance at 2015 Grammy Awards", Tvline.com, February 8, 2015
- ^ a b "Sia Releases Captivating 'Cheap Thrills' Video Featuring Maddie Ziegler", Billboard, March 21, 2016
- Briones, Isis. "Sia's Music Video of New Single 'Cheap Thrills' With Maddie Ziegler Will Blow You Away", Teen Vogue, March 21, 2016
- Durkin, Chloé. "25 of the Best Dance Videos of the Last Decade", PopSugar, May 17, 2016
- Jen Harper (July 24, 2012). "'Dance Moms': Maddie lands spot on 'Drop Dead Diva' and Jill keeps spot on Abby Lee Miller's hit list". Zap2it. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Martin, Rebecca. "Catch Dance Moms's Maddie Ziegler on New Mobile TV Show!", Wetpaint.com, June 26, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015; and ShowMobile. "HitStreak Episode Thirty Four feat. Maddie Ziegler". YouTube, July 31, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015
- ^ a b Thompson, Heather. "Disney Channel Austin & Ally Episode 'Homework & Hidden Talents' Airs Tonight", M magazine, March 28, 2015
- ^ a b Highfill, Samantha. "The story behind Maddie Ziegler's creepy Pretty Little Liars dance number", Entertainment Weekly, July 1, 2015; Norwin, Alyssa. "Pretty Little Liars Recap: A Shocking New 'A' Suspect Revealed", HollywoodLife.com, June 30, 2015; Corriston, Michele. "Pretty Little Liars: Guest Star Maddie Ziegler Could Not Be Creepier", People, May 12, 2015; and Abel, Alex. "Maddie Ziegler Reveals 5 ~Creepy~ New Deets About Her Role on Pretty Little Liars!", Seventeen, May 29, 2015
- "Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn S02E14", Zap2It.com, accessed January 9, 2016
- McNary, Dave. "Bobby Moynihan, Maddie Ziegler Join Colin Trevorrow’s Book of Henry", Variety, October 5, 2015
- "Weinstein Co. Picks Up Ballerina, Voiced by Elle Fanning and Carly Rae Jepsen", ComingSoon.net, May 11, 2016
- ^ a b Anderson, Ariston. "Venice: Sia Explains Why She's Directing Her Maddie Ziegler Screenplay", The Hollywood Reporter, September 7, 2015
- Gaynor, Emily. "Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler Team Up with Clean & Clear", Teen Vogue, July 20, 2016
- Brooke, Eliza. "Maddie Ziegler Takes Her Rightful Place as Capezio's Brand Ambassador", Fashionista.com, May 21, 2015; and Borge, Jonathan. "See Maddie Ziegler Show Off Her Dance Skills in Capezio's New Campaign Video", In Style magazine, February 8, 2016
- ^ a b Calderone, Ana. "Dance Moms' Maddie Ziegler Inspires Young Dancers in New Capezio Campaign Video", People magazine, February 10, 2016
- Melby Leah. "Betsey Johnson Taps Dance Moms' Maddie Ziegler for an Adorable New Collaboration", Glamour, July 1, 2015
- "Target Kicks Off Back-to-School Season With a New Class of Kids", Target.com, July 14, 2015
- Hoff, Victoria Dawson. "Maddie Ziegler Is Now a Runway Model", Elle.com, August 6, 2015; and Schumann, Rebecka. "‘Dance Moms' Star Mackenzie Ziegler Walks Polo Ralph Lauren Runway With Big Sister Maddie", IBTimes.com, August 6, 2015
- "Kode 2 Summer 2014 (Sia + Maddie)". Kode Magazine. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Schön! 28 Maddie Ziegler", Schön!, April 2015
- "Heimbrod, Mimi. Dance Moms' Star Maddie Ziegler: 5 Reasons Why Sia's BFF Is Everyone's Favorite Girl", Design & Trend, May 9, 2015
- Photos, Ziegler-Girls.com. Retrieved May 5, 2015
- Abidor, Jennifer. "Maddie Ziegler Opens Up About Life After Dance Moms, Seventeen magazine, June 29, 2016; and Heimbrod, Mimi. "Dance Moms Star Maddie Ziegler Compares Herself to Miley Cyrus' 'Hanna Montana' Character In Seventeen Magazine Interview", Design & Trend, April 19, 2015
- Fisher, Lauren. "24 Hours With Maddie Ziegler", Harpers Bazaar, April 21, 2015
- ^ a b Schwartz, Alison. "A Friendly Reminder Sia Muse Maddie Ziegler Is Only 12 Years Old", People, April 3, 2015
- ^ a b Sandberg, Patrik. "Maddie Ziegler: Pre-Teen Drama Queen", Dazed, Autumn 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2015
- Butterworth, Lisa. "Dance Moms Star Maddie Ziegler on Starring in Sia's Intense New Video and Shia LaBeouf's Dance Moves", Cosmopolitan, January 8, 2015
- Mathews, Dana. "Exclusive! Get to Know Maddie Ziegler, Sia's Tiny Dancer", Teen Vogue, April 2015
- "The Prodigy" cover feature, Stella, May 10, 2015
- Maniac Magazine, September/October 2015 issue, cover and pp. 13–21
- Ziegler, Melissa. Vanity Fair, Ziegler-girls.com, July 30, 2015
- Gross, Zach. "Flaunt Magazine – Maddie Ziegler", ZachGross.com, September 25, 2015
- Navarro, Andrea. "See Maddie Ziegler Try Glitter Freckles in her Latest Photo Shoot", Teen Vogue, April 12, 2016
- Ziegler, Maddie. "Exclusive: Maddie Ziegler's Behind the Scenes Fashion Week Photo Journal", Elle, February 2015
- "Dance Moms Stars Launch Limited Fashion Collection", L'Art Magazine, October 13, 2014; and (Untitled), Tommy2.net, September 29, 2014
- @MaddieZiegler, Instagram, accessed July 24, 2016
- @MaddieZiegler, Twitter, accessed May 19, 2016
- Maddie Ziegler, Facebook, accessed July 23, 2016
- Maddie Ziegler – most viewed videos, YouTube; Furler, Sia. Sia – most viewed videos, YouTube, both accessed July 23, 2016
- ^ a b "Tori Kelly, Jessie J & More to Perform on ABC's Disneyland 60 2-Hour Special", Broadwayworld.com, January 29, 2016
- Besser, Haley. "Disneyland 60: A Review", Huffington Post, February 23, 2016
- Parker, Lyndsey. "This Is Acting: Sia Stuns With Theatrical Coachella Spectacle", Yahoo!, April 18, 2016
- Hurwitz, Daniel. "Sia, Big Bird woo advertisers for YouTube", USA Today, May 6, 2016
- ^ a b Molinari, Jessica. "Sia Performs 'Cheap Thrills' on The Voice Season 10 Finale, But It's Maddie Ziegler Who Steals the Show", Bustle.com, May 24, 2016
- ^ a b Hall, Todrick. "Taylor in Wonderland", YouTube, June 2, 2016
- ^ a b Connolly, Kelly. "Maddie Ziegler joins So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation as judge", Entertainment Weekly, March 3, 2016
- Nicosia, Elena. "Watch So You Think You Can Dance Season 13, Episode 2 Online", EarnTheNecklace.com, June 6, 2016
- Owens, Dylan. "For SeriesFest, Sia welcomes Red Rocks to her theater of dreams", HeyReverb.com, The Denver Post, June 23, 2016
- Craddock, Lauren. "Maddie Ziegler to Join Sia's Nostalgic for the Present Tour", Billboard, July 25, 2016
- "Gallery Books and Aladdin to Publish Books by Maddie Ziegler", Simon & Schuster, August 1, 2016; and Kimble, Lindsay. "13-Year-Old Dance Star Maddie Ziegler is Releasing a Memoir and Young Adult Novel Trilogy", People magazine, August 1, 2016
- "'Dance Moms' Stars Team Up With Starlight Children's Foundation; Show Is Renewed for Third Season – OK!". OK!. October 10, 2012. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "'Dance Moms' Stars Team Up With Starlight Children's Foundation; Show Is Renewed for Third Season". OK!. October 10, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- Kassoy, Ben. "How Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler Are Brightening the Birthdays of Homeless Kids", Teen Vogue, May 9, 2016; and DoSomething.org. "Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler + DoSomething.org Birthday Mail", Youtube, May 9, 2016
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Sia's 'Chandelier' Video: Dance Moms Star Maddie Ziegler Delivers Dazzling Performance", Billboard, May 6, 2014, accessed August 18, 2015
- "Watch an exclusive one-take version of Sia's Chandelier video", The Guardian, June 2, 2014, accessed August 18, 2015
- "10 Best Music Videos of 2014", Rolling Stone, December 29, 2014, accessed August 18, 2015
- Villarreal, Alexandra. "Why Maddie Ziegler Matters to the Dance World", The Huffington Post, April 7, 2015, accessed August 18, 2015
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Here’s Why Maddie Ziegler Joining Sia's Tour Rules", Fuse TV, July 26, 2016
- Gonzales, Erica. "19 Rising Style Icons Aged 19 and Under", Harpers Bazaar, October 26, 2015
- ^ a b Robinson, Will. "People's Choice Awards 2016 full winners list", Entertainment Weekly, January 6, 2016
- ^ a b Geier, Thom. "Teen Choice Awards 2016: The Complete Winners List", The Wrap, July 31, 2016
- ^ a b Lee, Ashley. "Shorty Awards Nominees Include Adele, Kevin Hart, Amy Schumer", The Hollywood Reporter, January 19, 2016
- "Dancers Choice Awards 2013 | Nominees". Industry Dance Awards, accessed December 4, 2015
- Sollosi, Mary. "Teen Choice Awards add more nominees", Entertainment Weekly, July 8, 2015
- "Dancers Choice Awards 2015: Nominees", Industry Dance Awards, accessed August 16, 2015
- "Dancers Choice Awards 2016: Nominees", Industry Dance Awards, accessed July 19, 2016
- "2016 breakthrough performer presented to Maddie Zielger", Industry Dance Awards, accessed August 11, 2016
- Heimbrod, Mimi. "Dance Moms Cast Maddie Ziegler Stars In 'Lucky Thirteen' Video", September 25, 2015
- "Caramel Films Portfolio – Ballerina (2016)", Caramel Films, accessed February 16, 2016
- Lang, Brent. "Colin Trevorrow's Book of Henry Pushed Back to 2017", Variety, August 2, 2016
- Rosenbloom, Alli. "Maddie Ziegler Is Leaving Dance Moms After Season Six", US Weekly, December 17, 2015
- Jen Harper (July 24, 2012). "'Dance Moms': Maddie lands spot on 'Drop Dead Diva' and Jill keeps spot on Abby Lee Miller's hit list". Zap2it. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Kirsch, Megan. "Abby Lee Miller on 'The View'", Dance Spirit magazine, February 22, 2013
- "Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler performs controversial dance on Ellen Show", WPXI, May 19, 2014, accessed February 5, 2016
- Kaye, Ben. "Watch: Sia performs on Jimmy Kimmel Live", ConsequenceofSound.net, July 4, 2014; and Duca, Lauren. "Watch Jimmy Kimmel Learn The Dance From Sia's 'Chandelier'", The Huffington Post, July 7, 2015, accessed December 27, 2015
- Schumann, Rebecka. "Maddie Ziegler Ditches Dance Moms to Perform 'Chandelier' with Sia on Dancing with the Stars", International Business Times, September 22, 2014
- Kreps, Daniel. "Watch Sia Bring Her Music Videos to Life With Electrifying SNL Performance", Rolling Stone magazine, January 18, 2015, accessed February 5, 2016
- Pittman, Taylor. "Maddie Ziegler Completely Crushes Eerie 'Elastic Heart' Dance On Ellen", Huffington Post, February 2, 2015, accessed February 5, 2016
- Carey, Stacy. " Dance Moms Star Maddie Ziegler heads to 'Dancing with the Stars'", Inquisitr.com, May 4, 2015
- "Your First Look at Maddie's Epic Nickelodeon Debut", Teen.com, January 13, 2016
- "LUX - 'It's Like Summer' (Official Video)", Youtube, January 20, 2012, accessed January 31, 2016
- Lifetime. "Brooke Hyland - 'Summer Love' (Official Video)", Youtube, September 5, 2012, accessed January 31, 2016
- Schumann, Rebecka. "Who Is Maddie Ziegler? Meet The Sia 'Chandelier' Music Video Dancer, 'Dance Moms' Reality Star", International Business Times, May 14, 2014, accessed January 31, 2016
- Heimbrod, Mimi. "Dance Moms Maddie Ziegler Vs. Chloe Lukasiak: Who’s The Most Popular Young Talent?", Design & Trend, November 12, 2015, accessed January 31, 2016
- Mack Z. "Mack Z - 'Shine' (Official Video)", Youtube, October 4, 2014, accessed January 31, 2016
- "Dance moms star Kendall Vertes had Maddie Ziegler help choreograph wear em out music video", ibttimes.com, April 9, 2015
- Thurmond, Alexandra. "Tori Kelly and Maddie Ziegler Star in Target's Back-to-School Campaign", Teenvogue.com, July 22, 2015
- "Snap Pets Commercial", Ziegler-girls.com, October 5, 2015
- Bon, Duke. "Capezio – Dance in You", February 9, 2016
- Official website
- Maddie Ziegler at IMDb
- "Dance Moms' Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler Dance Like Fall's Major Trends", 2015 dance video from Glamour
- "Lucky Thirteen", 2015 dance video narrated by Chloë Sevigny
- Ziegler learns a 2015 holiday routine with The Rockettes in 1 hour for Teen Vogue
- "Dance in You" 2016 Capezio advertisement