|Forty Martyrs of England and Wales
|File:Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.jpg
|1535–1679,England and Wales
|Roman Catholic Church
|25 October 1970 by Pope Paul VI
The Forty Martyrs of England and Wales are a group of men and women who were executed for treason and related offences in the Kingdom of England between 1535 and 1679. Many were convicted under show trials or even no trials. All were subjected to the religiously oppressive regimes of the Tudor and Stuart periods as part of the Protestant purge that lasted for several hundred years. They are considered by the Catholic Church to be Christian martyrs and were canonized on 25 October 1970 by Pope Paul VI.
The Forty Martyrs, individually named
Liturgical Feast Day
In Wales, 25 October is kept as the feast of the 'Six Welsh Martyrs and their companions'. The Welsh Martyrs are the priests Philip Evans and John Lloyd, John Jones, David Lewis, John Roberts, and the teacher Richard Gwyn. The 'companions' are the 34 English Martyrs listed above. Wales continues to keep 4 May as a separate feast for the Beatified martyrs of England and Wales.
- List of Catholic martyrs of England
- English Saints and Martyrs of the Reformation Era, a Church of England commemoration-day for Roman Catholic and Church of England martyrs of the English Reformation
- Catholic Church in England and Wales
- Eighty-five martyrs of England and Wales, a list of eighty-five beatified by the pope to represent those executed during the English Reformation
- Catholic Forum: Forty Martyrs of England and Wales
- Sermon of Paul VI on the occasion of the canonisation of forty martyrs from England and Wales, 25 October 1970 (largely in Italian)
- Description of each of the Forty Martyrs
|This article about a saint from the predecessor states to the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
cy:Deugain Merthyr Lloegr a Chymru fr:Martyrs d'Angleterre et du pays de Galles it:Santi quaranta martiri di Inghilterra e Galles no:De førti martyrer fra England og Wales pl:Czterdziestu męczenników Anglii i Walii ta:இங்கிலாந்து மற்றும் வேல்சின் நாற்பது இரத்த சாட்சிகள்